Followers

Monday, August 3, 2020

thumbnail

FINALLY THE ONE 4


Early this morning, I'm elated when I receive an email that says my thirty days leave has been approved. I quickly pack my bags and head to the bus station excited to know that in a few hours’ time I'll be chatting it up with my favorite cousin of all times. Mulo is definitely a go to person, the kind that never disappoints, shy but one hell of a freak when you get to know her. She has the kind of personality that keeps you wanting to have her around, no wonder she's my first choice whenever I need someone to spend my free time with. She and I are so close that we both end up not attending family events if one of us can't make it, a bad habit that to date still gets us in trouble during family meetings.

A few hours later, I'm thinking of how this has got to be the worst journey of my life. The service on the bus is pathetic, not that I expect spectacular service on a public bus but this is by far too pathetic a service to even be termed substandard. I'm sitting on a two seater seat that has apparently been turned into a three seater because the bus conductor sold more tickets than the number of seats in the bus and as if things couldn't get any worse I'm in between a woman whose baby can't stop crying and I'm forced to help her as she changes her baby's diapers right here in the bus and an overbearing man taking every stop the bus makes as a chance for him to go and smoke whatever it is that he has wrapped in small pieces of newspaper and still expecting everyone around him to be cool with his breath. I'm only relieved a few minutes later when I hear the man say to the bus conductor that he has reached his destination and within a few seconds he's gone. We are at another bus stop in what seems to be a short space of time, I see a man get on the bus no sooner than the bus conductor hands him a ticket. He's tall, dark in complexion and has quite a muscular body. He's the kind that you fantasize about, really good for the eyes I must say. I find myself smiling when he sits right next to me and this time I have no problem being uncomfortable. "These people sure are stealing our money with this kind of service, aren't they?" I'm surprised to hear him talk to me as he seems to be a reserved kind of person but I still respond in a nonchalant but firm tone, "considering we have to pay quite a large amount of money all in the name of hiked fuel prices.”

"Miles Martinez” he says as he extends his hand to shake mine and the other lady's. He obviously thinks the lady and I are related which is typical of most men considering the fact that we're both light in complexion."Nacha Ndhlovu." I say right after the other lady introduces herself as "Rachel Zulu." "He must not be Zambian." I say to myself considering his name.  Minutes later I notice how good Miles is with babies as he gently grabs the baby from its mother who seems glad to at least have a moment to herself. Miles smiles at the baby who seems to like him as he makes all kinds of funny faces and in no time the baby peacefully falls asleep in his arms. I'm impressed with Miles and quite disappointed in me for literally not glancing at the baby, the mother must obviously be thinking I'm not a kid's person. I finally reach my destination and I'm as excited as a child going for a holiday when I see Mulo waiting for me. I quickly say my goodbyes to Rachel and Miles and rush to give Mulo a big warm hug. I notice her body is in in perfect shape as we head to her car which was bought for her as a Birthday gift by her wealthy colleagues at work. Mulo is a chemical engineer working at a reputable private mining company.

Later in the evening, after Mulo and I finish catching up on what we've both missed out in each other’s lives even though we talk on phone literally every day, we both fall asleep at what seems like the same time.

Early this bright Sunday morning, we're all set to go for the church service even though we're running quite late, a habit we both can't seem to work on so we opt to use the car even though the church is not quite far from home. During the dispensation of Holy Communion in the service, I'm surprised to see Miles on his way to get his share of the Holy Communion I smile at him but quickly uncurve my mouth when I realize he definitely isn't looking at me. Minutes after the service I walk up-to Mulo and find her talking to Miles, she introduces me as her cousin and is pleased when we tell her we've met before. As Miles and Mulo continue with their conversation, I pretend to be chatting with someone on my whatsapp and yet still manage to figure from their conversation that aside from being church mates, they are work mates.

After an awesome thirty days,my leave comes to an end, yet it seems like I've only been here a few days, as is the case with time whenever one is having a good time. So in a few hours I'm back at my apartment telling Nora about how having a change of scenery was the most ideal thing for me. I tell her about my coincidental meetings with Miles and read her disappointment when I tell her I didn't think to get his phone number. A week later I'm on the phone with Mulo as is the case whenever I'm on my lunch break at work when she says, "So Nacha, I was thinking, wouldn't  it be great if you went on one blind date before you completely give up on finding love? " after a moment of silence as I'm still thinking about her words, she adds, "Listen, a good friend of mine is in your town right now as we speak and I think you two have quite a lot in common, you will like him I promise. Can you please meet him tomorrow? " I agree to have dinner with her friend knowing pretty much that Mulo is not a one to take no for an answer even though I end up regretting giving in to her demands so easily when it finally dawns on me that I've never been on a blind date.

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments