Followers

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

thumbnail

FINALLY THE ONE 2



                                                                                                                                          

Chapter two                                                                                                                                       

This morning I wake up so full of life and ready to conquer the world. This has been by far the longest two months of my life as it was mostly characterized by tears and unrealistic emotional breakdowns, I say unrealistic because honestly no guy deserves to be cried for the way I've cried for Jackson in the past few weeks. I guess I'm just tired of this melancholy whenever his stature comes to my mind, whenever I think of how I could never get tired of staring at him. Jackson was quite a catch; he was tall with a dark chocolate complexion and had the most amazing lips I've ever seen till now. He's smile was amazing, he's eloquent speech was to die for and he's sense of humor always swept me off my feet.

"I love him, no! I loved him." I find myself correcting my thoughts as I stare at the letter J on a bottle of 'Grape Juice' because honestly I can't determine whether what I feel for Jackson is love or hate. I remind myself I deserve better as I head to the bathroom to take a shower while pondering on last night's conversation with Nora on how I need to let go of the pain and move on. There are many reasons I call Nora my best friend but the one that stands out the most is that she's never such a one to judge me. “You know you keep wasting your beauty locking yourself up all day in this house right?” A question I literally didn't expect from her but I still found myself uttering the words "I'm not complaining,” as I tried my best to avoid eye contact with her.

"Listen Nacha, I'm not complaining either but I feel it's time you moved on, you can't keep harboring such pain in your heart." she said in such a calm tone one would think she's my mother.

"I miss him Nora, I want to hear his voice again, he's the only guy for me and I just want us to work things out, he's not perfect I know but I'm not either.” I said as I kept wiping my tears.

"You need to let him go Nacha, the fact that he knows you're hurting and still not doing anything to change that is clear enough that he doesn't deserve you. For all you know he could be having the best time of his life right now." I knew Nora was right but my pride mixed with shame could not allow me to acknowledge that to her. A long moment of silence fail before Nora could break it by saying, "The world needs to see more of you Nacha so go out there and conquer it " I smiled as I assured her that I would do just that.

I stare at myself in the mirror with so much happiness and contentment that I feel a boost in my self-esteem. I notice how my short but decent black dress fits me perfectly one would think it was tailor made for me, my shiny black sandals make my feet look so bright and beautiful. I pull my hair back into a ponytail and grab my small black purse. To me black is more than just a color, it is an emotion, a happy kind and an all-black outfit has the ability to make me feel like I am on top of my game even when I am as clueless as a baby.

I decide to walk to town as I think of which places to visit in the city. After fifteen minutes of aimlessly walking around town I decide to go into a bookstore to get myself a good book to read, something I haven't done since the breakup. I turn to my right and enter the first bookstore I see; it’s big with beautiful chandeliers quite fancy for a bookstore. A man walks up to me and introduces himself self as Mark Themba, I smile because Themba is also Nora's surname but I opt to keep this detail to myself.

"Nacha Ndhlovu," I say as I reach out my right hand to shake his.

"So how may I be of service Nacha?” I notice how his lips move when he speaks and can't help but wonder why I thought Jackson's lips were the best. I effortlessly convince myself that Jackson's lips are nowhere near Mark's well curved lips.

"I need something romantic with a women's fiction feel but not too dramatic." I say, noticing just how handsome he is, I love how he's taller than me and how he's rocking an all-black outfit, we definitely look like a couple with my corresponding outfit.

"I think I have just the right book for you, I just finished reading it and it's exactly what you have just described.” I hear Mark say and I just can't help it but like him the more because he read the book, which is quite daring considering how most men shun the idea of reading romantic novels but this man standing next to me is quite open minded and oh how I love open minded men.

"I'll take your word for it then.” I say "so which shelf?” I smile as I wait for him to gesture his hand toward the shelf where I'd find the book but instead he tells me the book is at their other bookstore and will only be in later in the day.

"Just give me your line and I’ll give you a call as soon as the book is in. "  He says as he hands me his phone and I find myself typing my phone number while thinking about how lucky I am that Mr. handsome is actually going to have my line, "can this day get any better? "

An hour later I'm drinking coffee at my favorite coffee shop when my phone rings, I wait for my true caller application to identify the unknown number before the name 'Mark Themba' pops up I pick up the call and utter a "hi Mark."

Mark: Hi Nacha, are you anywhere around town.

Me: Yes, I'm just four stores away from your bookstore.

Mark: The Italian coffee shop?

Me: Yes

Mark: I'll be there in five minutes.

Mark hangs up before I can respond and thoughts start running through my head, does Mark like me? Or maybe he just wants to tell me that the book has been sold out (something he can undoubtedly tell me over the phone). Probability of the latter is definitely zero so it's obviously the former. I notice Mark get into the shop and I wave my hand to guide him to my table. A beautiful waitress follows him behind but he tells her he will just have water for now as he takes his seat.  He nervously smiles and says, “I know you are probably wondering why I had to follow you here instead of asking you to come to the shop but I just had to see you outside the shop. Nacha I like you, I liked you the moment you entered the book store I mean you just have such a good aura around you.” Bingo! I was right he does like me and I like him too and although all I can think of right now is grabbing him and kissing those beautiful lips of his I have a strong urge to exercise some girl power so I say, "well thank you Mark, you seem like a good person too. "

"I'd love to get to know you Nacha. Can we go for a drive and just talk? " I know I should probably decline but instead I say,  "sure, why not? " and in no time Mark and I are out of the coffee shop and in his car talking about anything and everything we'd like to know about each other. I learn that he actually owns the bookstore and that he is an accountant by profession and that he actually didn't have an idea of the kind of book I needed but thought it was a good idea to lie to get my line. I notice how caring he is as he keeps asking if I'm hungry or thirsty even though I tell him I'm not because right now I am way too happy to have something to eat or drink. We stop at a beautiful place called 'Royal Gardens' and sit in one of the chalets. Mark looks straight into my eyes and tells me he's glad he went to the book store today.

He asks if I'm seeing anyone and for the first time in a long time I'm happy to be single. I tell him I'm not and he smiles at me and says, "You're my lady now, so say goodbye to being single. " I know I should probably object but I smile and nod in agreement with the words, "Yes, your majesty." escaping my mouth.

Hours later I'm in Mark's car, he's packed just outside my apartment, the lights are on so I figure Nora is back from work. I tell Mark about Nora and how I can't wait for the two of them to meet. We are both silent for a moment and I'm pretty sure I know what's coming as I feel his lips touch mine, they are just as soft as I had imagined them to be, we kiss briefly but I pull out and tell him I need to go home now, he agrees with me and wishes me a good night. I get out of his car and walk towards the door to my apartment when I hear him call out my name, I turn to look at him and he says, "I love you." I feel a rush of adrenaline and say "I love you too." He smiles and drives away.

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

2 Comments

avatar

Nyc...is the story for real or imaginary?

Reply Delete
avatar

Thanks. It's real with a little bit of fiction.

Reply Delete